Category & Eligibility
Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 2 academic years. Full scholarship applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Partial scholarship applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level).Applicant who is able to provide the employment agreement or certification upon finishing the study from designated working institutions is preferred.
Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students.
This category provides a sponsorship for 4 academic years. Applicant should hold a high school diploma or above, Full scholarship applicant should have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 4), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Partial scholarship applicant should have a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 4), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level)
Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months.Applicant should have a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 4), and 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. Applicant should have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 3), and 60 in HSKK test (Beginner Level).
- Scanned copy of the first page of the passport.
- HSK and HSKK Score reports
- Digital passport picture, less than 300 KB.
- Scanned copy of personal signature, less than 300 KB.
- Application Statement: stating applicant’s Chinese language learning background, study plan and aim in China It shall be written in Chinese and 200- 500 words.)
- Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for.)
Degree Scholarship Program Applicants
The applicant shall submit the notarized highest education diploma attained or official proof of student status. Host institutions will contact applicants directly if other materials are required.
How to fill in Application form
For application, please log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarships website http://cis.chinese.cn to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions which should provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms). For those who live off campus with the permission of host institutions are entitled to accommodation allowance from host institutions on by month or by quarter.
The allowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis. Living allowance is granted by the host institutions on monthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are:
- Degree Students: One-Academic-Year Study, One-Semester Study: RMB2,500 per month
- Masters Students: RMB3,000 per month
During the study, for any students who is absent from China of personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legal holidays), the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personal reasons.
The degree scholarship program applicants (Category 1, 2, 3) are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; those who achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; the others will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. Partial scholarships consist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance. The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers is required to attend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee is reimbursed by host institutions.
- Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
- Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
- Scholarship winners who cannot register with the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
- Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
In the next article, I will give a detailed application procedure on the CIS Website for students preparing to do that next month.
Have a question? Drop it in the comments section below :-）
Notice 通知: The Chinese Bridge Competition 2017 will be taking place this Friday 5th May 2017 at UoN Towers 6th Floor, Nairobi. See you there.